Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ray[_22_] Ray[_22_] is offline

Default Hydrogen engines

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 13:53:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:55:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
So in the future our cars could either be powered by electric motors
and batteries or ICE's and hydrogen, both recharged in our garages.

Do you really think it an efficient use of energy to convert water to
hydrogen then burn in an IC engine?

But we'll have this vast surplus of green energy, with all these
windmills and solar panels, won't we? The phrase 'too cheap to meter'
comes to mind. ;-)

Then use it to charge an electric car. ;-)

simpler to change the carburetor on an existing vehicle. Our workshop
technician did that to his car during the petrol rationing of 1973,
and ran his car on propane. SU carb, IIRC; he just bored out the jet
and machined a fatter needle, although I doubt that modern carbs are
that simple to DIY modify, but modified carbs would be available
commercially.

Current cars don't have carbs, they inject petrol or diesel directly.