Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

On Monday, 27 January 2020 13:53:08 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
DSGs are great for *performing* the gear change with a smoothness that
most manual drivers (me included) cannot always achieve. But I would
want to remain in control of *when* the gearchange occurred.

Can always choose the manual mode - at least, on my DSG I have the
choice. Including flippers on steering wheel.

Man in dealer when I was looking around (a few years ago now), said that
most people play with the flippers a few times when they first drive a
DSG car. Then never use them again.

Quite. Mine as well as the steering wheel shifters allows you to move the
gearlever back or forward against a spring to change gear - like on a
motorbike. In manual mode I actually prefer that to the steering wheel
buttons. Later versions have paddles.

But other than playing with it, the auto generally works just fine.

Yes, can do it on the gear shift lever thingy as well.

About the only thing I ever do is occasionally choose S ("Sport") mode, which keeps the gearing much lower. Without that it is often in 7 at just a bit over 40. (Depends on general settings, Comfort, Economy, etc.)

However, it does change down very obviously and positively - but it only does that under the control of the Adapative Cruise Control, if I am using it. Jolly effective when going downhill.