Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Hydrogen engines

On 27/01/2020 10:05, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 21/01/2020 19:04, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Ray wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
The use of domestic gas is to be phased out. It will all go to
power
stations. Houses will have heat pumps.

Wonder if that actually reduces the amount of fossil based CO2
released?

Each conversion has losses. What COP do the heat pumps *have* to
achieve to overcome the losses in the power station and grid
compared
to say an 80% effcient domestic boiler?

Have you considered how many UK homes are suitable for a heat pump
system?

They all are with air sourced heat pumps.

Ah - right. So no need to bury pipes in the ground. Wonder what the
snag
is with that?

Â*Low energy density so you presumably have to move a lot of air to
extract
enough heat in cold weather (which must reduce efficiency).

Make you also wonder what it would be like living in a densely
populated area, where every house has a air sourced heat pump, each
shifting and *cooling* vast quantities of damp winter air. Could be a
tad noisy, not to mention you come out in the morning and find your
electric car frozen to the road :-))

Last I heard the 4 dwellings being built in my old grain barn will be
air sourced heat. New build will clearly be well insulated. Plenty of
gas or electricity available so deliberate choice.

Indeed it's usually easy with a new build to meet the noise standards,
rind room for the cylinder, and fit radiators or UFH designed for low
(35 degree?) temp water. But challenging for - say - row after row of
modest Victorian terraced houses which never had a cylinder and have
nowhere obvious to put one, and have radiators sized for 60 or 70
degree. Plus of course the need to massively insulate the solid walls
and suspended floors, and upgrade windows. Even with the Renewable Heat
Incentive I couldn't make the numbers add up for us last year (without
DIY - but then I'm feeling a bit old for that scale of job.)

I'd like to know who is briefing the "citizens assembly" on the scale of
the task with our housing stock - including eg the risks the BRE
identified with the glib "insulate the walls" mantra.

--
Robin