Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve[_84_] Steve[_84_] is offline

Default Soil drain with potential for leaking...

On 26 Jan 2020 12:16:52 GMT
Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 08:51:54 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 26/01/2020 04:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/01/2020 13:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 24/01/2020 19:31, R D S wrote:
Bog room was stinking at work, turns out there was a blockage
but as theÂ* pan itself wasn't backing up there's plainly scope
for leakage somewhereÂ* along the pipework under the floor.
Â*I've unblocked it, it's all running freely, the smell has
gone. I can't decide if I can be arsed exploring, there's
space issues and much boxing in.
Â*Just wondering what others would do?

Boxing:-) My daughter once had a flat in Shepherds Bush which
suffered from just such pongs. As the elderly leaseholder was
reluctant to bring in professionals, I used expanding foam
(fireproof) to close off the boxing before it entered the flat.

Was there water in the bottom of the pan when the stink was
detected?
Some temporary blockages with toilet paper allow the water in
the pan and around the trap to be syphoned out leaving an air
passage to the sewer, and hence the stink. Clearing the
blockage and re-filling the pan/trap with water is the complete
cure.

I once worked in a building where one of the toilet blocks was
no longer being used and the water turned off and the door
locked. Within a relatively short period there was a faint
unpleasant smell throughout the building which got worse as the
weeks passed. After much investigation the cause was found to
be a absence of water in the bog traps in this disused toilet.

Vent pipes can *suck* pans dry in very strong winds.

have to be some wind to draw a four inch trap!
did you just make that up ? ....

Why would he? Its happened in my house.

And in mine.

+1