Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water stained ceiling

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 1:04:32 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling?

Wood ceilings and walls are often painted. It's for the texture
not the grain showing plus painted will brighten up the room.

If you're going to paint it anyway, you may as well use drywall.
I curse the previous owners of my house who painted the woodwork.

Well, as I said, painting paneled wood on walls or ceilings is
for that richer look rather than just a plain flat surface.

Most times I see this, or have done it, it's an older house
where originally the owners wanted the wood grain look then
eventually tire of it and want to brighten up the room and
get it painted. You would be surprised just how much the room
looks brighter and larger.

I once saw a Canadian home decorating show. The "customers"
had bought a nearly pristine Arts and Crafts house and decided
the woodwork was too dark. Those dumbasses desecrated beautiful,
quarter-sawn oak with paint.

Also new owners might not want that dark room at all and get
it painted.

I painted my walnut stained kitchen cabinets to white, and a
nice pastel aqua on the walls. Boy oh boy, what a huge
difference that made. My small dark kitchen just really opened
up and appears so much larger. I still love it.

You live in a rental. In my house, I would have replaced the
cabinets with something lighter, but still stained wood.

Cindy Hamilton