Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water stained ceiling

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping youll tell me its not as bad as
I think it is.

Fingers crossed,
Nellie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 8:42:45 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.

I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling? In which case, IDK
if you can refinish just one section. It depends on how badly
it's stained, for how long, etc. If the leak was brief and the damage
minimal, I'd say the chances are probably pretty good. If it's been
leaking for 5 years and it's all black, I'd say not so good. If it's
possible, might be able to just refinish the one section, but put a
coat of urethane over the whole thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 16 Jan 2020 08:42:26 -0500, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.

Are you Julie?

How long has it been drying since the leak was fixed. Drying can take a
long time, because it only dries on the surface and water can have
soaked in all over the place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.

Are you Julie?

How long has it been drying since the leak was fixed. Drying can take a
long time, because it only dries on the surface and water can have
soaked in all over the place.

My friend waited a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

I was hoping you would respond, Gary. It isnt
painted. Its natural wood that has been sealed
I believe. It may have to be painted though.
Ill see what the other responses are and try
To figure this out.

Nellie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Trader_4 said

I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling? In which case, IDK
if you can refinish just one section. It depends on how badly
it's stained, for how long, etc. If the leak was brief and the damage
minimal, I'd say the chances are probably pretty good. If it's been
leaking for 5 years and it's all black, I'd say not so good. If it's
possible, might be able to just refinish the one section, but put a
coat of urethane over the whole thing.

It is a stained wood. The damage area is large
But it is in sections. I dont think we can do this
Ourselves. What do you suggest? Im completely
Puzzled about the whole thing

Thank
Nellie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:41:53 -0800 (PST), Julie Nilsen
wrote:

Trader_4 said

I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling? In which case, IDK
if you can refinish just one section. It depends on how badly
it's stained, for how long, etc. If the leak was brief and the damage
minimal, I'd say the chances are probably pretty good. If it's been
leaking for 5 years and it's all black, I'd say not so good. If it's
possible, might be able to just refinish the one section, but put a
coat of urethane over the whole thing.

It is a stained wood. The damage area is large
But it is in sections. I dont think we can do this
Ourselves. What do you suggest? Im completely
Puzzled about the whole thing

Thank
Nellie

Find a trim carpenter who does this kind of work. They may be able to
sneak those boards out if they are normal tongue and groove. Then the
decision will be whether they should be refinished or replaced.
My wife (a builder) says this is what happens when you don't seal
decorative lumber on all 6 sides before you put it up. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 5:07:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:41:53 -0800 (PST), Julie Nilsen
wrote:

Trader_4 said

[...]

That sounds like the idea. A finish carpenter or similar, someone who
does decorative woodwork.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling?

Wood ceilings and walls are often painted. It's for the texture
not the grain showing plus painted will brighten up the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Nilsen wrote:

I was hoping you would respond, Gary. It isn't
painted. It's natural wood that has been sealed
I believe. It may have to be painted though.
I'll see what the other responses are and try
To figure this out.

Sorry so long to respond. Sounds to me like you either
need to paint it all or replace at least one section.
You'll never be able to sand that out for touchup.
Good luck getting a good match to the other sections
though.

I suggest you call first a few painters and see what
they say and get (free) estimates to restore. I don't
think it possible. That stain goes deep. I wouldn't
take that job as I know it won't come out perfect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary wrote:

Sorry so long to respond. Sounds to me like you either
need to paint it all or replace at least one section.
You'll never be able to sand that out for touchup.
Good luck getting a good match to the other sections
though.

I suggest you call first a few painters and see what
they say and get (free) estimates to restore. I don't
think it possible. That stain goes deep. I wouldn't
take that job as I know it won't come out perfect.

One more *very important* thing. If you opt to replace
any wood and have it finished to match the other sections,
be sure to tell the carpenter to leave all scraps of
the new wood.

Painter will use those as samples to experiment with
the color to make sure it matches the old.
Once it goes on the ceiling, too late to change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 10:51:07 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling?

Wood ceilings and walls are often painted. It's for the texture
not the grain showing plus painted will brighten up the room.

If you're going to paint it anyway, you may as well use drywall.

I curse the previous owners of my house who painted the woodwork.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling?

Wood ceilings and walls are often painted. It's for the texture
not the grain showing plus painted will brighten up the room.

If you're going to paint it anyway, you may as well use drywall.
I curse the previous owners of my house who painted the woodwork.

Well, as I said, painting paneled wood on walls or ceilings is
for that richer look rather than just a plain flat surface.

Most times I see this, or have done it, it's an older house
where originally the owners wanted the wood grain look then
eventually tire of it and want to brighten up the room and
get it painted. You would be surprised just how much the room
looks brighter and larger.

Also new owners might not want that dark room at all and get
it painted.

I painted my walnut stained kitchen cabinets to white, and a
nice pastel aqua on the walls. Boy oh boy, what a huge
difference that made. My small dark kitchen just really opened
up and appears so much larger. I still love it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2020 12:06 PM, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Â* I'm doing the vaulted ceiling of our kitchen/dining area with
Southern Yellow Pine "car siding"Â* - 1x6 beveled edge tongue and groove
boards . The color is very light and the finish is a Minwax crystal
clear waterborne product . We haven't decided on cabinet wood species ,
but it will NOT be stained dark . I like white oak ... but A/C fir has
it's merits too . Whatever we use will be finished light in color . This
is a big room at 24x24 , with a lot of windows on the southern exposure
, and we want it light and bright . I've lived in enough older houses
with small rooms smaller windows . Flooring throughout will be medium
light solid oak .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Southern Yellow Pine "car siding"* - 1x6 beveled edge tongue and groove
boards . The color is very light and the finish is a Minwax crystal
clear waterborne product . We haven't decided on cabinet wood species ,
but it will NOT be stained dark . I like white oak ... but A/C fir has
it's merits too . Whatever we use will be finished light in color . This
is a big room at 24x24 , with a lot of windows on the southern exposure
, and we want it light and bright . I've lived in enough older houses
with small rooms smaller windows . Flooring throughout will be medium
light solid oak .

Did our kitchen in natural grey ash. Looks pretty much like natural
white oak. Did the livingroom and diningroom floors in ash as well -
with a light "honey" stain. The finish on the kitchen has darkened
somewhat from age/UV so it has a bit of a "honey" tone to it as well.
With the ash borer infestation ash lumber is very plentiful - and I
used a local mill - so the ash flooring was a significant savings over
oak
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Â* I like ash , but it's not common here . Oak - red and white , Hickory
, some Maple . And I've got a patch of sweet gum that's probably close
to a full acre or more and mostly big trees but around here it's
considered a trash tree . I've worked with gum before , it can be quite
beautiful . The problem would be finding someone to mill it into
flooring for me at a reasonable cost . Then there'd be the cost of
sanding/finishing , and the mess ... I think I'll stay with my original
plan and install 3/4 prefinished oak . Being able to do this myself is
saving me a ton of money . I figure when this place is finished it'll be
worth between 3 and 5 times the cash I spent .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

My ash flooring was all per-finished. Sweet Gum makes beautiful
trim. My wife's house when we got married was all gum trim.
Give you a good excuse to buy a nice portable saw-mill, planer and
shaper - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* I can get it milled into boards , there are sawmills all over the
place here . It's machining it into flooring planks that's hard . If I
were to buy the tooling to process it myself it'd be a Williams and
Hussey planer with an assortment of knives . I've done literally
thousands of linear feet of trims of all types on one of those , It's
one of the most flexible machines in the shop , and the price is
commensurate ... there's also the problem of where to use one , since I
no longer have a couple of thousand sq ft of shop space .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 1:04:32 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling?

Wood ceilings and walls are often painted. It's for the texture
not the grain showing plus painted will brighten up the room.

If you're going to paint it anyway, you may as well use drywall.
I curse the previous owners of my house who painted the woodwork.

Well, as I said, painting paneled wood on walls or ceilings is
for that richer look rather than just a plain flat surface.

Most times I see this, or have done it, it's an older house
where originally the owners wanted the wood grain look then
eventually tire of it and want to brighten up the room and
get it painted. You would be surprised just how much the room
looks brighter and larger.

I once saw a Canadian home decorating show. The "customers"
had bought a nearly pristine Arts and Crafts house and decided
the woodwork was too dark. Those dumbasses desecrated beautiful,
quarter-sawn oak with paint.

Also new owners might not want that dark room at all and get
it painted.

I painted my walnut stained kitchen cabinets to white, and a
nice pastel aqua on the walls. Boy oh boy, what a huge
difference that made. My small dark kitchen just really opened
up and appears so much larger. I still love it.

You live in a rental. In my house, I would have replaced the
cabinets with something lighter, but still stained wood.

Cindy Hamilton