Old January 16th 20, 09:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water stained ceiling

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you’ll tell me it’s not as bad as
I think it is.

Fingers crossed,
Nellie

Old January 16th 20, 12:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.
Old January 16th 20, 01:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.
Old January 16th 20, 01:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 8:42:45 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.

I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling? In which case, IDK
if you can refinish just one section. It depends on how badly
it's stained, for how long, etc. If the leak was brief and the damage
minimal, I'd say the chances are probably pretty good. If it's been
leaking for 5 years and it's all black, I'd say not so good. If it's
possible, might be able to just refinish the one section, but put a
coat of urethane over the whole thing.
Old January 16th 20, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 16 Jan 2020 08:42:26 -0500, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.

Are you Julie?

How long has it been drying since the leak was fixed. Drying can take a
long time, because it only dries on the surface and water can have
soaked in all over the place.

Old January 16th 20, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/16/2020 7:39 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

Absolutely. A friend just replaced sheet rock and did painting and
sealing after stopping the leak.

Are you Julie?

How long has it been drying since the leak was fixed. Drying can take a
long time, because it only dries on the surface and water can have
soaked in all over the place.

My friend waited a year.
Old January 16th 20, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Nilsen wrote:

What can be done about water stains on a wooden vaulted ceiling?
Is there a way only the stained parts can be
restored? Or does the whole thing have
to be done?
I am hoping you'll tell me it's not as bad as
I think it is.

Is your wooden ceiling painted to a solid color?
If so, easy to fix. I can tell you how. I'll wait for your
answer. Do make sure the leak that caused the stain has
been fixed and time allowed for it to dry well.

I was hoping you would respond, Gary. It isn’t
painted. It’s natural wood that has been sealed
I believe. It may have to be painted though.
I’ll see what the other responses are and try
To figure this out.

Nellie
Old January 16th 20, 09:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Trader_4 said

I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling? In which case, IDK
if you can refinish just one section. It depends on how badly
it's stained, for how long, etc. If the leak was brief and the damage
minimal, I'd say the chances are probably pretty good. If it's been
leaking for 5 years and it's all black, I'd say not so good. If it's
possible, might be able to just refinish the one section, but put a
coat of urethane over the whole thing.

It is a stained wood. The damage area is large
But it is in sections. I don’t think we can do this
Ourselves. What do you suggest? I’m completely
Puzzled about the whole thing

Thank
Nellie
Old January 16th 20, 10:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:41:53 -0800 (PST), Julie Nilsen
wrote:

Trader_4 said

I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling? In which case, IDK
if you can refinish just one section. It depends on how badly
it's stained, for how long, etc. If the leak was brief and the damage
minimal, I'd say the chances are probably pretty good. If it's been
leaking for 5 years and it's all black, I'd say not so good. If it's
possible, might be able to just refinish the one section, but put a
coat of urethane over the whole thing.

It is a stained wood. The damage area is large
But it is in sections. I don’t think we can do this
Ourselves. What do you suggest? I’m completely
Puzzled about the whole thing

Thank
Nellie

Find a trim carpenter who does this kind of work. They may be able to
sneak those boards out if they are normal tongue and groove. Then the
decision will be whether they should be refinished or replaced.
My wife (a builder) says this is what happens when you don't seal
decorative lumber on all 6 sides before you put it up. ;-)
Old January 16th 20, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 5:07:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:41:53 -0800 (PST), Julie Nilsen
wrote:

Trader_4 said

[...]

That sounds like the idea. A finish carpenter or similar, someone who
does decorative woodwork.