Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Soil drain with potential for leaking...

On 26/01/2020 09:19, misterroy wrote:
On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 3:22:38 PM UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/01/2020 12:43, alan_m wrote:
On 24/01/2020 19:31, R D S wrote:
Bog room was stinking at work, turns out there was a blockage but as
the pan itself wasn't backing up there's plainly scope for leakage
somewhere along the pipework under the floor.

I've unblocked it, it's all running freely, the smell has gone.
I can't decide if I can be arsed exploring, there's space issues and
much boxing in.

Just wondering what others would do?

Was there water in the bottom of the pan when the stink was detected?
Some temporary blockages with toilet paper allow the water in the pan
and around the trap to be syphoned out leaving an air passage to the
sewer, and hence the stink. Clearing the blockage and re-filling the
pan/trap with water is the complete cure.

I once worked in a building where one of the toilet blocks was no longer
being used and the water turned off and the door locked. Within a
relatively short period there was a faint unpleasant smell throughout
the building which got worse as the weeks passed. After much
investigation the cause was found to be a absence of water in the bog
traps in this disused toilet.

that was a clever thing to do...

My toilet has not been sucked dry, but in strong wind the level of the water does drop. I had wondered how every time I saw it. Ta

because there is no such thing...yes you will see the water in the reap
going up and down.....