Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water stained ceiling

On 1/25/2020 12:06 PM, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Gary wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
I would expect the poster is talking about a stained wood ceiling.
Otherwise, what's the point to a wood ceiling?
Wood ceilings and walls are often painted. It's for the texture
not the grain showing plus painted will brighten up the room.

If you're going to paint it anyway, you may as well use drywall.
I curse the previous owners of my house who painted the woodwork.

Well, as I said, painting paneled wood on walls or ceilings is
for that richer look rather than just a plain flat surface.

Most times I see this, or have done it, it's an older house
where originally the owners wanted the wood grain look then
eventually tire of it and want to brighten up the room and
get it painted. You would be surprised just how much the room
looks brighter and larger.

Also new owners might not want that dark room at all and get
it painted.

I painted my walnut stained kitchen cabinets to white, and a
nice pastel aqua on the walls. Boy oh boy, what a huge
difference that made. My small dark kitchen just really opened
up and appears so much larger. I still love it.

Â* I'm doing the vaulted ceiling of our kitchen/dining area with
Southern Yellow Pine "car siding"Â* - 1x6 beveled edge tongue and groove
boards . The color is very light and the finish is a Minwax crystal
clear waterborne product . We haven't decided on cabinet wood species ,
but it will NOT be stained dark . I like white oak ... but A/C fir has
it's merits too . Whatever we use will be finished light in color . This
is a big room at 24x24 , with a lot of windows on the southern exposure
, and we want it light and bright . I've lived in enough older houses
with small rooms smaller windows . Flooring throughout will be medium
light solid oak .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old