Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ray[_22_] Ray[_22_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
Trouble is, the other car I drive regularly is also automatic but has a
manual handbrake and I do have to think about it when I switch over.

My auto is a PDK (twin clutch) which uses a friction clutch rather than
torque convertor. It is set to creep - to replicate a TC auto. If you use
the handbrake, the creep function is still engaged. So when stopping at
traffic lights etc I put it in park. No need for either foot or handbrake
then. To avoid unnecessary wear on the clutch.

I did just once just use the handbrake and leave it in drive. Until
getting stuck in a massive traffic jam last summer. On moving off, got
quite bad clutch judder. So guessed it had overheated. Given the cost of a
replacement transmission, moving the gearlever seems a small price to pay.

Fark. I was considering a PDK for my next car. **** that.