Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Which cable outdoors?

Well my armoured cable to the shed and when the garage greenouse and shed
were there is still in good nick, but was attached to the fence, most of it
still is. I'd not want to bury any kind of cable under a garden myself. The
old overhead links were ordinary pvc double insulated for a time but we soon
discovered that the sun and the cold did not make it last very long. The
plastic shroud of the armoured cable seemms to be a completely different
type of plastic that feels a bit like Teflon to the touch, and has lasted
well over 15 years. I think, was I doing it again, I'd use a bigger capacity
one though, since you could see lights dim when you put on a3kw fan heater.
grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 25/01/20 03:12, ARW wrote:
On 25/01/2020 00:25,
wrote:
Which cable types are now required for:

a) nonburied run to shed, some attached to brickwork, some laid on
ground under plants
b) surface clipped run to lighting, some lengths under plants some not.

If there is a risk of damage due to strimmers/ cutters etc then you need
a cable with an outer earth sheath. So that's SWA or SY.

If not then use NYY-J cable.

If it's buried under plants, doesn't it have to be in conduit or trunking
to avoid damage from spades and forks?

Seems to me that "some laid on ground under plants" is a little unclear.
Does it mean only on the surface under the top growth of a plant? Trouble
is, it wouldn't take long to get hidden by fallen leaves and other stuff,
perhaps making it vulnerable to a spade.

--

Jeff