Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Where does paint all go?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 00:50:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

snip

And if it wasn't actually up to everyone's knees, would the litterers
simply use it as an excuse to litter more freely?

For sure. It'll just keep getting dirtier for a while. But then the outcry
will be such that a percentage of people will be ready to pounce/snitch on
litterers.

You would like to think but I believe people are often more wary to
trying to get others to 'do the right thing' now because of their OTT
reaction.

Then organise a volunteer cleanup crew.

That's already done there most days (in the summer).

I would be up for more signs reminding people that it was *their* park
(simply being maintained by the Council on behalf of the people of the
borough) and so they might respect their space by not littering etc
but again, that might make some people worse (If it's mine I can
litter it if I want).

The problem is largely people that have no respect for anything or anyone.
They don't care.

Agreed. ;-(

Providing more bins is a good solution to those who might use them
(and keep an eye on their kids dropping litter) or they will be abused
(to an even greater degree) by people clearing their cars out into the
park bins.

Many don't see / read the (many) closing time signs (meaning they get
locked in and getting the Park Guards out to let them out) so I'm
guessing they wouldn't see the litter bins / signs either. ;-(

so what. Make it difficult for them to find the guards & they'll learn not
to do that next time.

Oh they do. They often close all the main gates at the closing time,
do a(nother) sweep of the park and then get back to the main entrance
and have to deal with a percentage of people shouting and screaming
that they were 'locked in' and suggesting they were there well before
the closing time. If they don't lock the gates they often find even
more people have come in when they get back! The Council employees
usually just point to the CCTV camera and suggest they contact the
Council if they have any issues. That said, 'most people' are
apologetic. [1]

Give the guards jacket mounted cameras

I believe they already wear them.

Some parks have electrically operated gates so who would the tardy /
inconsiderate have to moan at then?

And I wonder if they would also expect their holiday plane / train to
wait for them ... or be as slow to get out if you told them there was
a bomb / sniper / leopard in the park? ;-)

& fine or ban people (a worm of cans in itself).

I believe fining either is an option or can be applied in repeat cases
but it is (as you say), a can of worms. It's a similar case when
collecting stray dogs, finding them unchipped and giving them back to
the owners. They do insist that they are chipped but I think there are
restrictions on (say) the council insisting or having the dog chipped
themselves (without the owners consent). And how many dog owners have
been fined the 500 pounds for not having their dogs chipped (and / or
keeping that data up to date). ;-(

They even stand by the signs suggesting people didn't feed the
wildfowl bread (and why), emptying a whole loaf into the pond.

maybe they don't agree.

Whilst they might not, they would be wrong.

I thin they may need to have some sort of pass where you have to read,
agree to and sign a declaration agreeing to the terms of the park
before they are allowed entry, then they couldn't say they 'didn't
realise' etc.

they agree to clearly displayed terms anyway. Let them agree to being
fined.

Good point. I'm assuming ignorance of the park byelaws (that are
clearly posted at each entrance) would be no defence? eg, You accept
them by just entering the park?

Cheers, T i m

[1] The funniest ones a

"It took me longer than I though because of my elderly parent / dog."

So, they became 'old' during the time they spent in the park, they
weren't already old (and slow) when you brought them in here?

"It took me longer because of the kids:" (some bizarre reason that
never include anything that justifies anything).

The frustrating thing is even when they are 'jollied up' by the
wardens, politely reminding / informing them the gates will be locked
*at* Xpm, some people still make no effort to get a wriggle on.

Fark, we arent actually stupid enough to **** all
that money against the wall locking up parks at night.

But then we arent actually stupid enough to have
manned public dunnys either.