Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Where does paint all go?

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:50:12 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 22/01/2020 13:50, Chris J Dixon wrote:
T i m wrote:

The answer of course is that some people buy bottled water because
they think it's better for them, are too lazy to re-fill an existing
bottle or think it tastes better (when where they have done blind
tests, 'most people' prefer tap water). ;-)

I do buy a little of Sainsbury's cheapest fizzy water. The amount
we use is so low that pratting about with Sparklets is not a
sensible or economic option.

It's no use cutting back on plastics if you create another problem by
using alternative consumables (such as "sparklet" capsules) that require
much more resources for recycling and probably create more climate
altering gasses during manufacture.

Its very much like people that give up dairy products for health or
climate crisis reasons but then start using plant based dairy substitute
products sourced from ingredients transported from the other side of the
planet and are heavily modified in industrialised processes that use
salt, sugar and other "healthy" ingredients to make them palatable.

Then that depends on the overall footprint of each.

eg, It could well be that the 'fake milk' requires a faction of the
space to produce (compared with cows milk), a fraction of the water
and actually produces far less of the worst greenhouse gasses (methane
V CO2), then we may all still be better off overall (and no cow
hormones in fake milk for example).

https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/dr.../oat-original/

Cheers, T i m