Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Fog lights MOT

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Friday, 24 January 2020 07:32:21 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/01/2020 20:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Thursday, 23 January 2020 12:04:20 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned
off?....

Anyone ever fully understood why we only have one high intensity rear
fog lamp?

some very old buses have ONE rear light and it is still legal to have
them on the road and it is not an MOT failure....

I understand that rules for old vehicles are different, but on a vehicle
which otherwise has a full set of lights on both sides, it seems odd to
allow a single HIRF.

I agree. The lighting regulations baffle me: they allow a single rear fog
light and yet you can be prosecuted for having a "single" tail light (due to
a bulb failure). And they allow indicators which are very close to (and
therefore masked by) headlights or brake lights. Some VW Golfs are guilty of
the rear indicator which is almost invisible when the driver brakes. Almost
every car made in the last 30 years has its front indicators in the same
housing as the headlights and so very hard to see at night on an oncoming
car.