Posted to sci.electronics.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default Mercury lamps, was: what's a quick way to verify UVC from germicidal lamp?

[snip]

Once upon a time, I was part of a test study on mercury vapor lamps with =

the outer envelopes broken so only the inner, strong UVC element=20
illuminated.

*whew*, thanks.

I was 99 percent sure I remembered those days of mercury arc
lamps needing that extra, outer, envelope 'cuz worries
about the UV intensity, and even that Duro Test had marketed
a "safety lamp" ("bulb") that, if the outer glass broke, would
shut itself down.

(this would have been the 1970's)

But none of the yung'uns around me believe that was ever teh case.

Any idea how they cleared up that problem? I replaced a bunch
of legacy mercury lamps about two decades ago and there weren't
any warnings on the packages.

Thanks.