Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bruce2bowser@gmail.com is offline

Default Neighbor having ISP speed problems.

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 9:15:42 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 16:11:41 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 1/22/2020 12:40 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 07:35:55 -0600, amdx wrote:

Quite a few years ago, they drove by my house and said it was singing.

Ummm... we were trying to fix your neighbors mess, not yours. Please
try not to confuse things (and me) by adding your mess to the soup.

All five wires running outside the house, no splitters in the attic.
They raised the maintenance fee to $5 the next month,

$1 per wire for a service contract. I gotta try that on my next
wiring bid to see if it works.

Now, I have cut the cord and have nice system for my antenna, and a
separate coax to my modem.

Modem as in cable modem? Just curious.

The last test was testing the speed at the end of the cable where it
would go into the router, Good.

I'm sorry this line was wrong, where I said speed, I should have said
signal strength.

Just ignore what I scribbled about having found the problem in the
neighbors wiring. However, this gives me a chance to try out my new
service "Remote Viewing and Diagnosis" where I sit in a contorted yoga
position, and try to visualize the problem. In my minds eye, I see
your neighbors cable wiring to be a tangle of rotting cables and badly
installed F connectors. Viewing the scene with my crystal ball
results in the same image, thus confirming my diagnosis. In order to
fix it, simply replace everything.

Use push-on connectors (that require a push on tool to install
properly), and not the ring crimp type.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/antennas/Misc/slides/CATV-tools.html

Ya, I have one similar in style to the Apica, If we install new cable,
we can use it.

The Aprica compression connector tool is a problem.

I've often wondered why techs hardly ever use crimp tools for F connectors when they're finished hooking up coax. Then, everything is well shielded from the outside stuff. Unless they lost one and don't want to buy a new compression tool.