Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Reaper James Reaper is offline

Default what's a quick way to verify UVC from germicidal lamp?

On 1/18/20 4:11 PM, KC JONES wrote:
I've had a germicidal lamp more or less in storage for a number of
years, but recently brought it out to sterilize a room where a person
had been sick.Â* However, I don't know if it still emits the germ killing
UVC spectrum.Â* What's a quick way I could tell for sure?Â* Thanks.

Once upon a time, I was part of a test study on mercury vapor lamps with
the outer envelopes broken so only the inner, strong UVC element
illuminated. Both 175 and 400 watt bulbs were tested. Can't speak much
for UVC detection without instrumentation, but a quick test might be
illuminating small insects, like crickets or flies. If they die
quickly, there's 99% certainty that you have UVC.