Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Cleaning a gas oven

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame. It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia

I don't see where this is any more people-friendly than commercial
oven cleaner. Ammonia is nasty.

Not quite as nasty as lye. Cleaning ovens isn't one of my high priority
activities but I vaguely remember something about putting a lye and
ammonia solution in a heat proof container, placing it in the oven, and
turning it on for a while. The combination was related to the stuff
Japanese suicides brew up but thankfully not as deadly.