Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning a gas oven

My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame. It does have an electric start.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1207198-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 2:44:05 PM UTC-5, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame. It does have an electric start.

Just use the self-cleaning cycle like everybody else does. If it
doesn't have a self-cleaning feature, use Easy Off the way my mother
did back in the Dark Ages.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame.* It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame.* It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia
112 cups hot water
Mix the ingredients, apply generously to spills, and let soak for 30
minutes or as long as overnight. Loosen tough spills with a nylon
scrubber and then wipe up with a damp sponge.
The bottom of a gas oven requires the most cleaning. You can remove the
bottom panel simply by lifting it out or by removing a couple of screws
that hold it in place.
With the oven bottom out, inspect and clean the gas burner. To determine
how the burner is working, turn it on with the bottom panel off. If the
flame isnt continuous along both sides of the burner, some of its holes
are clogged. Turn off the oven control and insert a wire such as a
coat hanger into the clogged holes.

After the gas burner is clean, check to make sure that its burning
efficiently a steady blue 1-inch cone, with an inner cone of about 1/2
inch. The air shutter, which you can adjust, controls the air mixture
and, in turn, the color of the flame. Consult your owners manual for
information about how to adjust the burner flame in your gas oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Jan 2020 19:44:02 +0000, Jody
m wrote:

My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame. It does have an electric start.

Just don't bump into the electric starter. You could bend an electrode
if you hit it just right or hard enough.

And if the flame isn't coming out of every hole, use a tooth pick or
even something bigger to clean each hole.

For the rest of it, you're on your own.

Oh, make sure you don't have a continuous cleaning oven. They can't be
cleaned or you ruin them. There are not too many of them left, but I
think they're great. If one is dirty, you just say, Not my fault, not
allowed to clean them. And they're never perfectly clean but they never
get very dirty either. You can google the model number to see if it is
one, or they have a slightly fuzzy inside, so if you can find someplace
that's mostly clean and can tell fuzzy from dirty, anmd fuzzy from
smooth, you should be able to figure it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame.* It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia

I don't see where this is any more people-friendly than commercial
oven cleaner. Ammonia is nasty.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame. It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia

I don't see where this is any more people-friendly than commercial
oven cleaner. Ammonia is nasty.

Not quite as nasty as lye. Cleaning ovens isn't one of my high priority
activities but I vaguely remember something about putting a lye and
ammonia solution in a heat proof container, placing it in the oven, and
turning it on for a while. The combination was related to the stuff
Japanese suicides brew up but thankfully not as deadly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame. It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia

I don't see where this is any more people-friendly than commercial
oven cleaner. Ammonia is nasty.

Not quite as nasty as lye. Cleaning ovens isn't one of my high priority
activities but I vaguely remember something about putting a lye and
ammonia solution in a heat proof container, placing it in the oven, and
turning it on for a while. The combination was related to the stuff
Japanese suicides brew up but thankfully not as deadly.

Hence the popularity of the self-cleaning oven. I haven't manually
cleaned an oven since 1989, when I moved out of my last rental.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
[...]

Oven cleaner in the eye would probably lead to vision loss. It is nasty
stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 2:44:05 PM UTC-5, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame. It does have an electric start.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1207198-.htm

What are you planning on cleaning it with? Gasoline? Paint thinner?
If it's oven cleaner or any typical water based kitchen cleaner,
a pilot light is not an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame.* It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia

I don't see where this is any more people-friendly than commercial
oven cleaner. Ammonia is nasty.

Cindy Hamilton

And first it's probably a good idea to read the instructions for the actual
oven. If it's not self-cleaning, EasyOff or similar should be fine.
If it's self-cleaning, they typically tell you to use that, then just
wipe up with a wet sponge or use something mild so as to no damage the
surface that has a catalyst in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame.* It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia

I don't see where this is any more people-friendly than commercial
oven cleaner. Ammonia is nasty.

Cindy Hamilton

And first it's probably a good idea to read the instructions for the actual
oven. If it's not self-cleaning, EasyOff or similar should be fine.
If it's self-cleaning, they typically tell you to use that, then just
wipe up with a wet sponge or use something mild so as to no damage the
surface that has a catalyst in it.

When I said "they tell you to use that" above, I meant the self-clean process,
not EasyOff.

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
[...]

I've not tried it yet in this house. Cleaning lady keeps it spotless
every time she comes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2020 08:29 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
Hence the popularity of the self-cleaning oven. I haven't manually
cleaned an oven since 1989, when I moved out of my last rental.

I haven't manually cleaned an oven for longer than that. No, I don't
have a self-cleaning oven either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.alittlebitdirty.com/