Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where does paint all go?

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 17:33:11 +0000, T i m wrote:

How long does it take to collect 5 kg of crisp bags?

We don't know yet, probably 'quite some time'. Actually, that was the
quantity required for free collection, I see they now have loads of
free dropoff points that I assume have no minimum limit.

Is this part of the "terracycle" scheme/network?

Several of those boxes down in town for bread bags, crisp packets and
other stuff. I think people running them have sent of one consignment
of crisp packets after about 6 months of collection with anyone able
to drop off.

That's the trouble with plastic it's bulky and light. You need an
awful lot of whatever items to get a worthwhile weight.

And do they really recycle them,

I don't know, I'd like to think so:

https://www.walkers.co.uk/recycle

"What happens to the recycled packets?

The crisp packets are cleaned and shredded to turn them into plastic
pellets. These pellets are then transformed into park benches, plant
pots, watering cans and cool bags."

No attempt to recover the aluminimum? Aluminium consumes huge amounts
of energy to extract from bauxite.

Because they don't care what brand you hand in, I'm wondering if there
might also be a market survey going on?

I'm more of the mind that it's a coporate "carbon reduction" box
ticking excercise. "We recycled x million packets last year saving y
tonnes of CO2". At least they allow any makers crisp packet but why
not any metalised plastic film, like that around multipacks of some
confectionary?

Quite a few of the terracycle collections are brand specific which
also rings the corporate box ticking alarm bell.

--
Cheers
Dave.