Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Default Cleaning a gas oven

On 2020-01-22 3:11 p.m., Charles Boyle wrote:
On 1/22/20 2:44 PM, Jody wrote:
My gas oven needs to be cleaned but since I've never had one before, I'm
concerned about the flame.* It does have an electric start.

Maybe you could shut the gas off to the oven?

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your
gas oven sparkle.
2 teaspoons borax or baking soda
2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

114 cups ammonia
112 cups hot water
Mix the ingredients, apply generously to spills, and let soak for 30
minutes or as long as overnight. Loosen tough spills with a nylon
scrubber and then wipe up with a damp sponge.
The bottom of a gas oven requires the most cleaning. You can remove the
bottom panel simply by lifting it out or by removing a couple of screws
that hold it in place.
With the oven bottom out, inspect and clean the gas burner. To determine
how the burner is working, turn it on with the bottom panel off. If the
flame isnt continuous along both sides of the burner, some of its holes
are clogged. Turn off the oven control and insert a wire such as a
coat hanger into the clogged holes.

After the gas burner is clean, check to make sure that its burning
efficiently a steady blue 1-inch cone, with an inner cone of about 1/2
inch. The air shutter, which you can adjust, controls the air mixture
and, in turn, the color of the flame. Consult your owners manual for
information about how to adjust the burner flame in your gas oven.