Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Where does paint all go?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 11:02:42 -0800 (PST), Bill Wright
wrote:

On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 13:50:36 UTC, T i m wrote:
I think education could play a big part, getting people to realise
that say walking on your land to be able to enjoy the countryside also
requires some consideration / respect from them.

You'll never educate the dregs of society. It's too late.

I don't think it's ever too late,

More fool you.

even if it's too late for a range of generations.

eg. Loads of people used to throw away (landfill) all sorts
of things that the same people now (have to) recycle or
they don't get their bins collected. Eg, they have been
'educated' to do that, even if they don't see or
understand why they should.

But still toss their used drink cans and food wrappers
and fag buts even when a bin is only a few feet away.

The parents have no concept of civic or social responsibility.

'Those parents', yes, I agree. My parents did though, as we
do and as our daughter does and my step-granddaughter will.

But its less clear that that is due to how you are
brought up and how much of it is just the genes.

The schools aren't much better.

I think too much pressure is put on the schools to provide parenting
to those children who don't get any. This in turn lowers the
opportunities for those who want to learn, as the teachers have to
waste time trying to 'manage' the kids who haven't been taught about
respect and how to behave in public.[1]

So, our daughter quietly conferring with the person sitting next to
her about what they should be doing (because the other person wasn't
listening or didn't get it) would be told to 'Be quiet' (because she
was a soft target) whilst a small group of wasters smash up furniture
and burn it at the back of the class. It's no point trying to manage
them because they are unmanageable *because* their parents didn't
parent them properly or respect the school / teachers either.

Or they are stuck with those genes.

Cheers, T i m

[1] We had 'indoor' and 'outdoor' voices and we were reminded to use
our 'indoor' voices when in say a cafe or shop (along with not running
about and touching stuff of course). These aren't 'old fashioned' or
outmoded things, these are things that 'still' demonstrate respect for
others and luckily, still seen in many people today, including those
who aren't from the best of areas or have the best backgrounds.