Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Where does paint all go?

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 06:35:15 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 12:03:14 UTC, T i m wrote:
I was talking to a fellow dog walker yesterday who had a visitor stay
from the USA and their visitor stated how dirty they considered the UK
to be, specifically as compared to wherever they lived (and I'm
guessing some states / cities / towns were god / bad over there too).

The USA has a far lower population density and a lot more places they can just hide the problem in landfill.

True. And I understand they don't walk as often as we do so less
likely to drop stuff they were carrying as they do?

We used to be a much tidier country before all these environmental regulations put six different types of recycling bin on every corner.

Do you think there is that link then? [1]

Much / most of what I see is likely to be dropped by people on foot.
Little corners seem to attract drink cans and bottles that couldn't be
reached from the road and are too protected to have been blown there
by the wind (unlike the carrier bags / plastic bits in the trees and
bushes).

This is most evident on any route often used by school kids. Once they
are finished with it (wrapper, bag or bottle) they just drop it
wherever they are or throw it into one of these 'corners' as they pass
by.

My Mums house has a low front wall, opposite a bus stop and was a
small portion of chips away from a chip shop. It was very common to
find the empty paper wrappers or the remainder of the uneaten food
left on the wall or in her front garden. ;-(

I have *never* left such things anywhere and simply couldn't.

Cheers, T i m

[1] The only time I've seen anything like that is people putting their
(say) empty plastic drink bottle in our green recycling bin.

I have even seen someone putting small bits of paper in our general
waste bin (well, some went on the floor) when the difference in
distance between them and their car, their own bin and ours was only a
couple of meters. We don't put our (bagged) dog waste in other peoples
bins, even if it's a fair way home or to the next / dog / public
general waste bin.