Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where does paint all go?

On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 12:30:38 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 12:08:50 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

and simply burn where we can't recycle.

And push for packaging to be in *clean burn* plastics.

Ok, I'll admit to buying a bottle drink when we are out and have been
caught out but 1) we often re-use the bottle several times and 2) will
always recycle them properly.

It's also a big problem with the meal deals in supermarkets which I use
almost every day, and so do many students.

Even to the point of not trusting that
the likes of McDonalds sorting their waste and taking it home so that
we can be sure we have done it properly.

I've not been in McDonalds since 1993 and even then it was only because
a GF likked a McDonalds breakfast. 2003 was the last time I went
in a chain burger bar (burger king), and not been in a KFC type place since around 1987.

If we do buy a plastic bottle of drink it's rarely just water out of
principal. Do they say bottled water is 1000 times more expensive than
tap water and often not as well tested as tap water?

It's what they say, but few people buy tap water anyway.
Most bottled water is spring water or other types.
I do drink the water from the dispenser in the graduate centre hallway
which is cooled water, about 500ml a day.

I often see people heaving huge multipacks of water into the shopping
trolleys or car boys and think they must be mad or something?

yes I do wonder about that too, but have you seen the price of it, so cheap
relatively that is. Even lemonade in aldi was 16p per litre.

I often buy the Salisbury's 2% lager that has recently gone up to
£1.25 for 4 cans. How can 4 cans of lager, that is mostly water, be
less than a bottle of plain water?

Is it, I wondered who buys such stuff now I know ;-)
Unless of course you actually like the taste not that I've tried it.
I'll just have one or two bottles of spitfire, abbots ale, bishops finger
or similar a week.

The answer of course is that some people buy bottled water because
they think it's better for them,

or that it actually does taste better.

are too lazy to re-fill an existing
bottle or think it tastes better (when where they have done blind
tests, 'most people' prefer tap water). ;-)

but NEVER when it's straight from the tap, they have NEVER done that test.
Sure put in in a bottle with the top off to let the cholrine evapourate
then cool it.
Another thing to remmber is that the water is tested BEFORE it goes through the pipes to our homes. Even my cat won;t drink frest tap water she'll wait 15 mins then go and drink it, this could be down to temperature as I've noticed she
is more likely to drink warm water.

What a mad world we live in ...

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Since I saw it mentioned here, we care saving crisp / snack
packets as I believe Walkers will take them is 5kg batches. We are
looking for a good way to store them as they can take up a bit of room
unless compressed somehow (and we don't want to knot them up as I'm
not sure how they re-process them).

That's the reason that I havent bought walkers crisps for over a year now.
In fact I haven't bought any crips during since then.
My brother told me that there's a reccyle shop that accepts walkers crisp bags but it's a 15min walk from the tube station.

yopu might find a place near to you.

https://www.walkers.co.uk/recycle
My 'local' one isn't on this map above, which too ages to load.

But I do eat crisps sometimes.
I had some brussel spout flavoured ones before xams. I'm having some now left over from a student function/event yesterday, and tried a sandwich too, but the bread was crisper than the crisps !

I'm also cutting down on my meat intake oooo err misses.
Have been since may, not sure if I can go veggie let alone vegan.
But I did have a vegan choclate bar today, but of course that was wrapped in plastic with a cardboard sleeve which has gone in the correct recycle bin..
Now whether or not it gets recycled I don't know.
But it was noted that all the recycled paper and card went into the same truck
as standard waste a year ago.

Still not sure what I can do about electrical waste, as in electroncis
and no longer used wall marts.