Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default what's a quick way to verify UVC from germicidal lamp?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:46:01 -0500, JBI wrote:

On 1/21/20 3:19 PM, wrote:
Let's cut to the chase. If the goal is to sanitize a former sickroom of potentially dangerous and/or persistent bacteria and viruses, using effective means-and-methods as economically as practical, do so with established materials following established procedures and protocols.

https://www.mnhospitals.org/Portals/...uidebo ok.pdf

http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Si...eaning-Kit.pdf

Otherwise, it is just speculation and baseless opining.

NOTE: I work in, but not for a major medical school and in their major research and teaching facility. Animals, BSL-3 labs, and all that. Cleaning is a serious concern as on any given day, there is about $30,000,000 in research happening within the building. This building also happens to be attached to a major hospital that closed in November. Where, again, cleaning was a serious business.

Guys and gals, UV is in use - but only in very specialized applications. Otherwise, it is too slow and far too dangerous. Around the animals, it is mostly alcohol and dilute bleach. In the patient rooms it was a mix of alcohol-based wipes and solutions together with various sanitary wipes using complex molecule germicides. BUT, for any sort of spill of patient fluids, blood or similar, it was bleach. Good old bleach. Kills everything, and is easily removed when done.

Ah, well. I guess it MUST be the hard way.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Well, just as a follow up, while I did expose the light sealed room to
the 200 W lamp for 30 minutes, I also followed up with 70% iso alcohol
solution. The smell of the room did change after the lamp had been used
with the characteristic strong smell of ozone.

Until the alcohol dried, I kept any animals away and also aired out the
room to negate the ozone. I have now been occupying the room nearly 16
hours per day since "decontamination" and have not gotten sick like the
former occupants. Still taking care to wash hands frequently above all
else.

Just to share, my first experience in the realization of UVC light was
when I was in shop class way back when. When we were finished with our
projects, the teacher would have us place all of out goggles into a
cabinet, then the cabinet was closed and the light was activated to 15
minutes. I doubt that bulb had ever been changed, plus the light was at
the top corner of the cabinet. Not all the goggles would have had
exposure on every side. Makes me wonder about the effectiveness.

Well, if the disinfection relied on ozone then it may have worked very
well. Ozone is a better disinfectant for turbid water than chlorine
because it will penetrate into the dirt particles better. Ozone in the
air also works very well.
Eric