Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Coal out -- Natural gas in

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 21:04:57 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 20:23:12 -0500, wrote:

Same with deregulation up here in Ontario. Sure, you can BUY your
rlectricity and natural gas from anyone you choose - and have it
delivered on OPG lines through, in my case, Waterloo North Hydro
distribution system for elrctricity and Embridge (formerly union gas)
for gas. Always on a "fixed price" contract which for at least the
last 20 years has NEVER been cheaper over the long term than spot
price through the primary supplier.
Someone's making a tidy profit.
Kitchener utilities was hedging their bets, buying contracts on gas -
and Kitchener residents payed significantly more than Waterloo, where
we bought directly from Union Gas (now Embridge)

Clare - I'll happily buy you a Schmidtsville breakfast -
if that's what it takes to set you straight on this ! :-)
I can't speak for gas - but for electricity - it isn't the
energy price - it's the delivery price - that is the problem ..
.. OPG does not retail or deliver electricity -
HydroOne delivers electricity... wholesale and retail ..
.. and they are no longer included in the SunShine List -
... duh .
Ontario - Quebec - Manitoba - public power systems -
.. Provencial Public Utilities - along with TVA .
we were historically the very best in North America .
... now look at us.
I think Manitoba and Quebec are OK ...
John T.

You will agree that "deregulation" was a terrible boondoggle?
Yes, I mixed up OPG and Hydro One. Back when it was Ontario Hydro it
was top-heavy, but when they split it to OPG and Hydro One there were
TWO top-heavy overpriced bureaucracies instead of one.

The delivery price is the same regardless who you buy the power from
- or through - but it IS a significant portion of the total bill.

Might take you up on the schmidtsville breakfast for a jawfest
sometime though - - - dutch.

If you call Ontario Hydro top heavy -

- Maurice Strong in the 1980's was called to task
for his salary - he voluntarily reduced it to $ 1.
... from $ 400,000, .. that's for the whole Province.
... after "privatisation" and sell-offs -
the several ensuing companies jacked-up salaries ~ many fold.
and $ 400. k became a mid-management
pay scale - for the several split-companies -
.... with no over sight or SunShine List.
Check out Ontario power & delivery rates
compared to Quebec & Manitoba ..
A few years ago - my daughter, in Quebec,
installed an electric furnace !
.. not too many sold in Ontario lately.
John T.