Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hydrogen engines

On 20/01/2020 08:26, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 20:10:48 +0000, Pancho
wrote:

On 19/01/2020 13:37, Chris Hogg wrote:

But how and where are they going to store a month's worth of hydrogen?
The volume would be absolutely huge, even if compressed. The phrase
'greens don't do sums' is occasionally trotted out on this NG. That
looks like a classic example of just that.

I'm pretty sure I already gave a link once in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_storage

"The storage capacity of the German natural gas network is more than
200,000 GW·h which is enough for several months of energy requirement."

No you didn't give that link, at least, not that I could find. But in
that link is a reference to this study of the use of natural gas
distribution systems for hydrogen transmission that is interesting
http://tinyurl.com/vy8gz4w

Plus we could use depleted gas wells.

Such as Rough http://tinyurl.com/t37zrz8 "It had a storage capacity of
3.31 billion cubic metres which was approximately 70% of the UK's gas
storage capacity (approximately nine days' supply). Rough could supply
10% of the UK's peak gas demand and thus was an important part of the
UK's gas infrastructure."

Of course, all these figures, whether for Germany or the UK, are for
supply of natural gas at current take-off rates. Those rates would be
a lot higher and their duration of supply correspondingly much shorter
for a hydrogen economy, which would use hydrogen to replace all fossil
fuels. But I take the point.

Greens might not do sums but you appear to be unable to use wiki.

chuckle

As I pointed out, the one who is unable to use Wiki is Pancho.
Hydrogen is unbelievably dangerous. I'd rather have Chernobyl at the
bottom of my garden than a hydrogen store.

About 1000 more peole have died from gas explosions than from nuclear
radiation.

When it comes to energy stores the most stable and least dangerous form
is uranium and thorium, followed by coal.

Liquid hydrocarbons are nasty. Gas is nasty. So are batteries. The worst
of the lot is hydrogen.

Lucas Bergkamp