Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default what's a quick way to verify UVC from germicidal lamp?

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 2:18:04 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 16:11:01 -0500, KC JONES
wrote:

I've had a germicidal lamp more or less in storage...However, I don't know if it still emits the germ killing
UVC spectrum. What's a quick way I could tell for sure? Thanks.

Ummm... perhaps a UV-C light meter?
Typically $350 to $1,100. You might want to look into borrowing or
renting such a meter.

It'll embrittle plastic quick if it's really UV-C; a disposable bag turning to
dust would convince me it was shining. Or, you could imagine something with
a slit, telescope mirror, thermopile, and grating, if intensity measurement was
important.

I'd think of something quick-and-dirty before shelling out bucks.