Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default what's a quick way to verify UVC from germicidal lamp?

On 1/18/2020 3:11 PM, KC JONES wrote:
I've had a germicidal lamp more or less in storage for a number of
years, but recently brought it out to sterilize a room where a person
had been sick.Â* However, I don't know if it still emits the germ killing
UVC spectrum.Â* What's a quick way I could tell for sure?Â* Thanks.

I see UVC covers 200nm to 280nm. I don't know anything about UVC bulbs
so I need to ask is does yours have a specific wavelength output? Like
270nm? My limited search finds bulbs of 254nm to 270 nm.
I did a little searching and didn't find anything in the way of UVC
sensors. But maybe a way to back into it?
Adafruit has a UV sensor that works from 240nm to 370nm for $6.50.
Maybe buy a filter for UVA and UVB, to cover that sensor and see if it
senses any UVC. OR buy a UVC sensor and flip flop covering and
uncovering the sensor and see if you get a square wave output.

Mikek