Jeff Cochran

Default How unsafe is running #14 off a 20a circuit?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:15:02 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
news
Did I go to an unnecessary expense? Should I have just left the 20a
breaker? I can't think of a single situation where leaving the 20a

breaker
would have been unsafe. Nothing but the garage door opener will ever

plug
into the ceiling outlet (with the #14), and it is all exposed to the air,

so
it is unlikely to overheat dangerously even if I did. Whatcha think?

I think you knew the answer or you wouldn't have replaced the breaker.
And since nothing will ever be plugged in except the opener, I assume
that means you'll live in the house until you die, preventing anyone
from using the outlet for anything else, and have the house bulldozed
upon your death, correct?

Of course I know the code requirement; that is why I changed it. To be
dangerous though, someonw would have to use the ceiling outlet, they would
have to have a 20a appliance with a 15a plug on it, and the wire would have
to overheat despite being exposed. All of these are unlikely; together they
are nearly impossible. So why should it be dangerous?

Or, they could simply have a 5 amp appliance on a 15 amp cord/plug
that shorts internally, causing the slightly corroded connection at
the original box to overheat and draw 19.5 amps, setting a fire and
never tripping a breaker.

(I also had a 22a water heater running on #12 for 20 years, until I found
and replaced it. I didn't check to see if it got hot, but it never started
a fire.)

Well, it's not my house and hopefully never will be, so follow your
instincts to whatever end you reach.

Jeff