Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on buying HVAC system

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 06:58:11 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-5, Monte wrote:
replying to NoSpam99989, Monte wrote:
Most of the brands of HVAC equipment are equivalent on durability, efficiency,
and life span. Some brands the parts are outrageously priced one furnace has a
venter assembly that is around $1000, avoid air conditioners that use
microchannel type condenser coils currently have a high failure rate. My
current brand is Goodman. Probably the most important thing is proper design
and installation of the duct work. 40+ HVAC&R tech

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-589507-.htm

+1

All good advice. When I did my research about ten years ago, the reliability
reports looked about the same whether it was Goodman, Rheem or Carrier or Trane.
Also G and R I think tend to use common parts that more suppliers carry
and that probably cost less. I went with a Rheem and it's been fine except
for the stupid ECM motor on the condenser fan failing. It would have been
$300+ just for the motor. I put in a basic PSC motor that fit exactly,
cost me $90. That ECM is an example of how not to save energy. The amount
that fan uses is so small, it's not worth having a motor with fancy
electronics, especially in an outside environment. I have an ECM blower
motor too, that's been fine and I think I've saved enough on electric by
now that it's more than paid for itself.

Those savings go up in smoke as soon as that blower motor takes a
crap. The motor for my Trane was $800 but they said not to replace the
motor unless I also replaced the $800 board.
You are not saving $1600 in 10 years.