Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Styrofoam

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 15:27:38 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

rbowman writes:
On 01/16/2020 02:24 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
trader_4 writes:

Well, I don't. I haven't even seen a styrofoam cup for years
now. a few minutes != 500 years, so I don't know why you even
ask. See also BPA.

https://www.amazon.com/Dart-20J16-Fo.../dp/B004NG8AAY

Somebody uses them... There are other problems. I worked for Sweetheart
Plastics in the '80s. They made a line of EPS disposable plates as well
as clamshell containers for McDonald's. They literally bought CFC's by
the railway tanker for the blowing agent.

I was long gone by the time the industry moved to HFC's. They were
better for ozone depletion but still had a high GWP. (global warming
potential). Now they're looking at hydrofluroolefins which have a very
short life in the atmosphere. They are more expensive of course.

Shipping was a problem that I don't believe was ever solved. Rather than
essentially moving air around the country, some way to create the foam
product at the point of use would be ideal.

Or just use reusable drinking glasses/travel mugs/et alia and forgo the disposables.

Some day we will be hearing about all the water that is wasted washing
these things out. That has been the excuse restaurants have used for
years for not giving everyone a glass of water.
We are going to run out of potable water long before any of the
calamities Al and Greta are whining about.