Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Styrofoam

writes:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 19:37:53 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

Well, I don't. I haven't even seen a styrofoam cup for years
now. a few minutes != 500 years, so I don't know why you even
ask. See also BPA.

https://www.amazon.com/Dart-20J16-Fo.../dp/B004NG8AAY

Somebody uses them... There are other problems. I worked for Sweetheart
Plastics in the '80s. They made a line of EPS disposable plates as well
as clamshell containers for McDonald's. They literally bought CFC's by
the railway tanker for the blowing agent.

I was long gone by the time the industry moved to HFC's. They were
better for ozone depletion but still had a high GWP. (global warming
potential). Now they're looking at hydrofluroolefins which have a very
short life in the atmosphere. They are more expensive of course.

Shipping was a problem that I don't believe was ever solved. Rather than
essentially moving air around the country, some way to create the foam
product at the point of use would be ideal.

They still sell a lot of foam plates, cups and bowls at the grocery
store and buyer's clubs so they are far from going away. Restaurants
still use the big white clamshells too.

That depends on where you live. You won't find them in stores in
the major metropolitan areas of California, for example. Paper
and plastic, yes, styrofoam not so much. Particularly for
restaurants which use the corn starch based compostable versions.