Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 11:29, Fredxx wrote:
On 17/01/2020 11:19:33, Pancho wrote:
On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we
build more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious
question, not making a point.

Accepted as genuine.

The issue is down to occasions where this is no wind and in the middle
of a cloudy day in Winter. I am aware hydrogen can be stored but it is
difficult to contain due to it's diffusive nature.

I'm not clear on that. I'm seeing reports that it could be stored using
existing methane storage facilities (not 100% sure of that, perhaps they
meant town gas storage). I'm seeing quotes that this gives something
like several months storage capacity in Germany. It says before
switching to natural gas Germany used town gas which is 60-65% hydrogen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_storage#Underground_hydrogen_storage

I haven't seen any articles that don't overcome the need of a reliable
source of power without some form of alternative power generation.

Over capacity of wind generators reduces the periods of under
generation, also the hydrogen stored during periods of over capacity
could be used for alternate power generation in periods of wind under
production.

So if they can do enough wind and cheap enough it does appear to be a
potential solution. Obviously a big *if*.