Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Hydrogen engines

On 17/01/2020 11:19:33, Pancho wrote:
On 16/01/2020 20:18, Fredxx wrote:
On 16/01/2020 14:00:49, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EC...MXl972-smqjpoI

Shame it's so impractical to make hydrogen efficiently unless we build
more nukes.

How do you know wind cannot be used to make hydrogen. Serious question,
not making a point.

Accepted as genuine.

The issue is down to occasions where this is no wind and in the middle
of a cloudy day in Winter. I am aware hydrogen can be stored but it is
difficult to contain due to it's diffusive nature.

I haven't seen any articles that don't overcome the need of a reliable
source of power without some form of alternative power generation.

I vaguely remember someone claiming that the required number of
windmills would take up too much area in the UK, but I think I have also
seen claims we could produce ten times our requirements from wind.

Does anyone have a reliable source for a discussion of potential UK wind
capacity, + economics.

I haven't seen anything reliable. Either side is able to put forward
economics to disprove the other.

Hydrogen can also be used as a replacement for domestic gas heating. So
if we can economically provide enough wind power overcapacity, the two
technologies would be well suited.

That may well be the first case where excess wind power is put to good
use. Currently they are paid to not generate.