Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Hydrogen engines

It not wuite that they couldnt stop making it, it is just that the cost
of keeping it running is so low.

ALL the cost in nuclear is capital, insurance and maintenance. That
happens whether its running or not. Fuel costs are very low.

For current generation nukes this is due to low demand for uranium. It
wouldn't scale to a world wide energy solution.

Of course if we had fast nukes it would scale.

Then of course if the cost of nukes is all capital rather than fuel why
do people keep pushing fusion as a solution. I can't see why fusion
capital costs would be cheaper than fission and the fuel would
effectively cost the same.