Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Styrofoam

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:00:24 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 11:52:20 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 11:20:54 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 00:49:17 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:04:13 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:51:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/15/2020 11:14 AM, Larry wrote:
On 1/15/20 10:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Break it up to fit a small bag.テム堙つ* I'd stop for a taco.テム堙つ* Most every fast
food has a trash can outside for your remnants of lunch, toss it in on
the way out of the parking lot.テム堙つ*テム堙つ* Same with the vac at the car wash or
the gas station.

Technically it may be illegal but not as blatant as filling a dumpster.

Great tip from a democrat on how to make someone else pay for trash
disposal.
I didn't see your idea posted. Did I happen to miss it?

Mine was "bury it". I bet out in the boonies like that he has a
machine or knows someone who does. Use the bucket to compress it as
much as you can and bury it. Environmentally, you are "sequestering
carbon". That is supposed to be a good thing.

Sure. Bury it. The styrene monomers and other chemicals leech
into the groundwater and your kids drink it. Good idea.

That stuff is pretty stable ... for 10,000 years if you believe the
hype. That is why it is used so much for food containers and coffee
cups.

Don't confuse the amount of time that it takes to completely degrade
(which is 500 years for styrofoam) with the time it takes to start
leaching benzine and other chemicals which happens over the entire
time period it is buried.

That 500 years assumes UV from the sun is hitting it.

Irrelevent. The material doesn't wait 500 years then suddenly
decompose completely. It decomposes over the entire period
releasing toxins the entire time.

Then ban those dangerous styrofoam beverage cups! Hot coffee is
releasing toxins that will kill us all! Ban those cheap
coolers for food. Won't someone please think of the children?

It certainly wouldn't bother me. Some restaurants hereabouts already
have switched to coated cardboard for both takeout coffee and leftovers,
even soup to go in cardboard.

The most styrofoam I see is when we buy some sort of electronic thing.

We easily could cut way back on styrofoam use, and keep it for occasions
when it really is the only thing for the job.

Cindy Hamilton

I bet Scott will tell you about the stuff leaching out of the plastic
coating in the paper cup too.
They are also not particularly recyclable. My waste hauler doesn't
want them in the blue bin. They are trash.