Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Styrofoam

trader_4 writes:
On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 12:52:53 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
trader_4 writes:
On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 11:20:54 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Don't confuse the amount of time that it takes to completely degrade
(which is 500 years for styrofoam) with the time it takes to start
leaching benzine and other chemicals which happens over the entire
time period it is buried.

That 500 years assumes UV from the sun is hitting it.=20
=20
Irrelevent. The material doesn't wait 500 years then suddenly
decompose completely. It decomposes over the entire period
releasing toxins the entire time.

Then ban those dangerous styrofoam beverage cups!

Surely disposing of them properly (e.g. recycling or
landfill[*]) is sufficient.

The point was that if they are toxic, they emit dangerous
substances, then why are we drinking hot beverages from them?

Well, I don't. I haven't even seen a styrofoam cup for years
now. a few minutes != 500 years, so I don't know why you even
ask. See also BPA.