Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Styrofoam

writes:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 16:20:50 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

I didn't see your idea posted. Did I happen to miss it?

Mine was "bury it". I bet out in the boonies like that he has a
machine or knows someone who does. Use the bucket to compress it as
much as you can and bury it. Environmentally, you are "sequestering
carbon". That is supposed to be a good thing.

[snip]
Irrelevent. The material doesn't wait 500 years then suddenly
decompose completely. It decomposes over the entire period
releasing toxins the entire time.

Without the exposure to the sun and elements, it will decompose very
slowly and the release of toxins will be far below the ability of the
earth to assimilate them. I opened up a wall with rigid foam
insulation planks recently that has been here for a half a century and
it looks and feels brand new.

Ah, but the topic was burying the foam randomly where it
is exposed to water, microbes and chemicals in the soil;
not using it as a building material
(which is a form of sequestration for the life of the building).

OTOH I pick up foam in the river that
hasn't been in the weather more than a year that is badly decomposed.