The Masked Marvel

Default How unsafe is running #14 off a 20a circuit?

Canada requires 20A recepticles on 120V/20A circuits, but USA generally
allows 15A for general purpose circuits w/ multiple recepticles?

"Nate B" wrote in message

"Toller"

I was fooled since
it was a 15a outlet, and code required a 20a outlet on a 20a circuit

since
it was the only outlet on the circuit. (at least that is my

understanding)

This doesn't sound correct, but there are lots of codes out there. There

is
little physical difference between a 20A and 15A outlet - only the

existance
of the hortizontal spade is different. The codes related to these outlets
are basically there to prevent putting a 20A appliance on a 15A circuit.

Did I go to an unnecessary expense? Should I have just left the 20a
breaker?

I would have installed a 15A breaker based soley on the existance of 14ga
wire in the circuit. You'd probably be fine, but why ever bother
questioning all the safety and research that sits behind these codes? You
never know what someone will do 10 years after you sell the place. That
said, I use 12 ga wire for both 15 and 20 A circuits. It just isn't

that
much extra work and money.

- Nate