Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default [OT] "Houston, we have a problem."

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 18:27:43 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 08:48:02 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/6/2020 12:06 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jan 2020 05:17:02 +0000, (Chaz of
Canterbury) wrote:

Could you blokes explain to me how the bloody hell
these Ben Hur death-chariot wheels are legal on
Texas motorways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIjMgDHFFgk

Driving with the boot lid open as well?
Do the constables simply look the other way?
Show vehicle only - only on the show grounds. Boot lid open would not
be an issue on the highway if nothing loose to come out

No, these vehicles with these wheels exist on the roads and freeways in
Houston.

Placarded for over-width???
Definitely illegal.
Defionitely unsafe

They _appear_ to be legal IF the car doesn't exceed 8ft width.

https://abc13.com/archive/7699639/

https://www.khou.com/article/news/exaggerated-tire-rims-swangers-are-they-legal/285-567542949

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLRVdADj8Og
a PH.D gives the history:

difference between 83's & 84's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZbb_R18OIo

FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) outlawed any wheels or
wheel covers with "winged projections" for 1968; that particular
regulation was included in the FMVSS revisions due to Ralph Nader's
efforts. That's why GM released special hex nuts and a special wrench
as service replacements for KO wheel spinners - it was illegal to sell
the original spinners after 1968; the same thing happened to all
service replacement wheel covers that originally included spinners -
the service replacements were sold with no spinner - just a round
emblem that attached to the center of the cover

According to this many of those Swangers ARE illegal under FEDERAL
Law