Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Water paint on oily undercoat!

On 04/01/2020 17:22, alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2020 15:38, TimW wrote:

Yes, all these water paints say they are suitable for previously
painted surfaces. Maybe I need to prime the undercoat, mad as it sounds.
TW

With less volatile solvents these days I've found that oil based paints
take a long time to fully cure/harden - a week or more.

My other main observation with solvent based paints comes from cleaning
the brushes. I use white spirit and after using to clean the brushes
decant it into plastic bottles for future use for brush cleaning.

The pigments/solids in some paints will drop to the bottom of the
bottles within a matter of a couple to three weeks leaving most of the
white spirit a clear but murky colour. The thin pigment/solid layer at
the bottom of the bottle will remain intact when pouring off the top
nearly clear white spirit.

With other solvent based paints the pigment/solids seem to stay in the
white spirit solution for many months ( 6 months) with the settlement
occurring in distinct layers. When pouring off the clearer solution at
the top of the bottle the pigments/solids that have sunk to the bottom
of the bottle readily mix again.