paul

Default Whirlpool washer won't spin (Researched already, Just trying to clarify)

***if you don't want the whole story, jump to "details"***

Hi everyone,
I've done extensive research about my problem in old NG posts and repair
sites on the net. I just wanted to clarify that I'm replacing the correct
parts so that I don't continue to throw money away....

Last week while washing a load of laundry, I smelled something like melting
plastic or hot wax...after noticing the smell, I noticed that the washer had
gone through all cycles except the spin cycle. I opened the lid and decided
that the smell was definitely coming from within the washer(later narrowed
it to the lid switch). Ok, so I researched and decided that I'd try to
replace the lid switch to resolve the problem. Seemed fine for about 2
loads on Saturday, but this morning after putting a load in, the "smell"
returned, and the machine will not spin. So $25 on a part that was probably
not the problem (I *did* test the old switch before replacing it, but since
I've read that a switch can -test- fine, but still be weak I chalked it up
to that theory).

*** DETAILS ***

Machine runs fine until spin cycle. It will spin (with manual intervention)
under 2 conditions: 1. lid open, no clothes loaded or 2. clothes loaded and
"jump started" by hand (i.e. push it with my hand then it kicks in on its
own). Replaced lid switch..it was NOT the prblem. I'm thinking that it's
the drive coupling (as seen he http://repair2000.com/coupling.html) Can
anyone confirm this or point me in the right direction? Thanks a lot to
anyone who can help!

-paul

P.S. it's a newer whirlpool, not sure what year (was bought used about a
year ago)...only has motor and transmission, no belt as far as I know (I've
seen it apart before)