Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default That home made sports car

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 16:34:15 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 08:33:19 -0800, wrote:

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 07:34:24 +0000, Charlie+ wrote:

Don't know where you are, but you will want to check into what is
involved in getting a VIN number and insurance. Here in Ontario
getting a VIN isn't TOO onerous, but geting insurance is pretty close
to impossible for a "home-built" car. A "kit car" is a lot easier on
both counts. Starting with a "donor car" and "modifying " it is a lot
easier. I'd consider "modifying" an MX5 Miata. It's got a sweet
powerplant and decent suspension. It's designed with doors and you can
run open or with a roof. Parts to convert to coil-over suspension are
readily available. Performance parts are readily available. Replace
everything except the engine, running gear, and cowl and you still
have an MX5 with a VIN. Take off the sheet metal, build a tube frame
to give it strength with less weight and skin it in aluminum or carbon
fiber (or whatever), install cycle fenders, even narrow the cowl if
you want. The insurance company will ask if it has been "modified for
speed" and you will likely have to answer to the affirmative, which
WILL in all likelihood raise your rates a bit. Keep enough Mazda parts
that you can still (somewhat) legitimately call it a Miata - - - -

Id agree with this (kit+) approach, I had two Lotus back in the day, (11
and Elite) and I also built up a Kit car (Ginetta G15) in a week-end!
I would not build from scratch, you may never finish to enjoy it! The 11
had a very thin Al body all butt gas welded and hand rolled, I would
never do enough to make a job that perfect even though welding Al with
modern welders is a lot easier, mastering the English wheel is quite
something else! C+

I'm pretty good at raising metal but all I've really worked with is
aluminum, copper, German silver, and silver. A body is big and will
take lots more work, building bucks and the like, but I have a feel
for metal and am good at working it.
I may not go the English Wheel route. I may just stick to hammer
forming and stretchers and shrinkers.

Congrats on your pending retirement, Eric.

If not a wheel, maybe enjoy its noisier cousin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4hwWpthyoE

AKA a Plannishing hammer