Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default That home made sports car

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 21:08:14 +1100, Clifford Heath
wrote:

On 20/12/19 6:22 pm, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 17:33:33 +1100, Clifford Heath
wrote:

On 20/12/19 1:36 pm, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 12:44:02 +1100, Clifford Heath
wrote:

On 20/12/19 12:21 pm, Clare Snyder wrote:
My brother started to build a sports car years ago - He was going to
call it an XR12 ( as in Ex R12 - or used to be an R12)- using the
front of an R12 Renault bolted to the back of a tub with the front a
arm suspension from a vauxhall? - can't remember for sure, on the
front.

Isn't that basically what Lotus did with the early Europa? Except it was
an R16 engine, before they built a suitable engine themselves.

CH
Basically yes.

I have long wondered whether it would be possible to turn around a
Subaru engine like that, to make a mid-engined all-wheel drive race car.
The boxer has such a low CoG.

Does anyone know if this could be done with a Subaru diff?

CH

easier to get a reverse rotation camshaft

The gear teeth would be driven in the opposite direction too. Does that
matter?

Likely some effect, but you aren't likely going to attempt to drive it
500,000km.