Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Led on but switch off

On 12/16/2019 8:08 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 8:52:07 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 12/12/2019 11:18 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 12:35:52 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/11/19 10:07 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

The other type uses the neutral so that it doesn't have any current flowing
through the load when the device is off. An example of that is the X-10
appliance module that plugs into a receptacle and then the load plugs into
it. It gets it's power between hot and neutral at the receptacle.
Like the other poster said, it uses a relay for the load, there is no current
in the load when it's off.

I have used enough X10 switches of different types to know that there IS
current through the load when the switch is off. Also, I've seen
schematic diagrams (such as for an appliance module) that show the path
past the relay for this current.

A receptacle module causes less trouble with this, but it is still NOT
free of load current when off.

Again, only with some of the devices, eg a wall switch. There is no current
through the load with the appliance modules, when it's off.

Then why does the LED glow when the relay module is switched off on my
appliance module controlled floor lamp?

Because it has that optional circuit that other appliance modules don't
have that we just learned about from Mark? IDK now, it's possible they
all have that circuit. I know that the appliance modules I had
were not capable of lighting a CFL like a wall switch would. Looks
like that circuit passes ~25 ma, which may not be enough to light a CFL,
but will light an LED.

For years and years, they all had that function.