Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Led on but switch off

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 11:35:47 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 12/11/19 10:07 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

The other type uses the neutral so that it doesn't have any current flowing
through the load when the device is off. An example of that is the X-10
appliance module that plugs into a receptacle and then the load plugs into
it. It gets it's power between hot and neutral at the receptacle.
Like the other poster said, it uses a relay for the load, there is no current
in the load when it's off.

I have used enough X10 switches of different types to know that there IS
current through the load when the switch is off. Also, I've seen
schematic diagrams (such as for an appliance module) that show the path
past the relay for this current.

A receptacle module causes less trouble with this, but it is still NOT
free of load current when off. I have 2 of those in use now, which
require additional load resistors because of this (one controls a CFL,
the other a LCD TV with LED backlight).

Well, both of my appliance modules work perfectly with both LED and
CF lamps. These are plug in modules, not hardwired switch
replacements.

The same issues exist with occupancy sensor light switches too. Some
work without a neutral. Some don't. Some won't switch LEDs reliably -
the ones with a neutral DO word significantly better.

The code has been updated to require a neutral at all switch locations,
that will allow switches that connect to the neutral to be used,
eliminating the problems with LED, CFL flickering or partially lighting
with the switches that don't use a neutral.

It doesn't automatically eliminate it, when you consider existing wiring.