Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Car warranty

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 22:51:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/10/2019 10:15 PM, philo wrote:
Have not posted here in a while as all is going well.

Today a friend told me he canceled a night trip because he noticed a
headlight was out.

I asked him why he did not just take it to the nearest oil change place
and pay maybe $25. It would be a fifteen minute delay.

He told me that would void his car warranty.

Before I blast him for being an idiot thought I'd ask here if he was
being a fool.

Yeah, he's an idiot. Typically, lights are wear items and at most
coverage is one year.

Now, let's say the car is 6 months old. If he changes the bulb at his
expense he is out the cost of the bulb. Maximum. Changing one part has
no effect on the warranty of any other part and is assured by law under
the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. It is permissible to use third part parts.

Surprisingly the headlight bulbs in my 1996 Ford Ranger were still
the original factory fitments when I replaced the headlights due to
deterioration of the reflector and lens 2 years ago - when the truck
had about 360000km on it - all of that driven with the headlights lit
- either as DRL or head lights - - - - -