Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Led on but switch off

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 11:18:37 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , lid says...

The 2011 and beyond code requires bring a neutral to every switch
location, even if it is just a simple switch loop.

Can you tell us the reasoning behind this code?

I'm not saying you are wrong, just asking why they would want this.

thanks

The neutral is for use with switches (like a timer or home automation
device) that require a little power themselves. Some can get that power
through the load, but that does not work well when the load is something
other than an incandescent bulb.

Yes, it used to be simple in the house. Just a normal switch to turn a
light off and on. Maybe a few 3 way switches. Now we are starting to
see many installing the 'smart speakers' and other devices. Just say
'Alexa turn on the light'. The smart switches need the hot and neutral
to power them. There are fewer incadescent bulbs being used.

Many houses used to have the wiring going over head to the light
fixtuer. From there a hot wire was ran to the wall switch and back to
the light. No easy way to retro fit a smart switch powered by the AC.
Some have came out with batteries that have to be changed every so
often.

U/L used to let devices "leak" 500 micro amps or so into the ground,
enough to drive CMOS but no more.