Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Led on but switch off

On 12/9/19 1:16 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 12/8/2019 12:44 PM, Thomas wrote:
Just put in a new led ceiling light in bedroom, 3 wires, the third
capped and taped.
The leds glow with the wall switched off. How is that posible?
Installed with breaker off, hand twisted nuts and tape. Does the light
retain x for a time?

Are you using an X10 remote module on it? The sensing current it passes
for switch control does that. If you turn a swith off then on, the
module turns on the power. Some LEDs go all the way out. Others will
glow even when off.

X10 switches were designed for tungsten bulbs and often have problems
with LED/CFL/electronic loads. I use a couple like that and get it to
work right by adding a small resistive load that draws about 15mA (1.8W
when on 120V).

I also see this problem when using solid-state relays to control holiday
lights. For this purpose I created several "offer" plugs using the
male/female end of a holiday light string and a 8.6Kohm 2W resistor.

--
16 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Fear prophets ... and those prepared to die for the truth, for as a
rule they make many others die with them, often before them, at times
instead of them." -- Umberto Eco