Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adam's apprentices

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 17:46:49 +0000, soup wrote:

But still easyly available, so someone must be buying them.

I found it nearly impossible (well almost) to buy old style Meccano (you
know with a multitude of bits you could make into anything). Instead it
seemed to be all kits you could make into ONE specific thing

So each of these kits uses *only* parts unique to that kit/model? Not
mostly generic parts with one or two "specials"?

Themed kits are a way to hook into the band wagon of big marketing
budgets for that theme. Remember we are dealing with kids/people with
under stimulated imaginations. Put two identical "kits" on the shelf
next to each other with the same price tag. One just listing and
showing the parts in the box, the other with a major theme (Star
Wars, Harry Potter, WHY) and a picture of what the kit will build.
Which one will sell the most?

--
Cheers
Dave.